Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Portrait Sighting Discussion

I am going to do something different with this post. I am going to use my answer to the questions that go along with the assignment.

1. Explain how you used the technique of sighting to draw a face.
2. How will you use proportion and balance to make the face realistic?
3. What was your experience with this exercise?

I used the text of Project 18, Drawing Heads and Faces as well as Figure E from page 105 of "How to Draw What You See" as a guideline for adding the sighting lines. In addition, I used my pencil to grab rough measurements. These lines and sizes allow me to accurately* capture the various facial features in proper proportion and balanced vertically as well as horizontally so that I attain symmetry. The sighting lines and contour lines together make up a rough schemata or armature on which to base a more detailed rendering. While working on this assignment, I discovered two things. First, I found that my face does not conform to the ideal dimensions. Second, I realized that the De Reyna made it look much easier than it really is.

* "accurately", in theory at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment