Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday Evening Dinner

On Saturday I decided that I wanted to cook. I picked out two recipes that not only sounded good but that would also harmonize well: Baked Chicken with Apple Stuffing from AllRecipes.com and Rachael Ray's Brussels Sprouts with Bacon from the Food Network. Mary and I went shopping and picked up everything that I would need as well as the normal grocery list. We ended up getting done too late so it got pushed to Sunday.

Last night I was the chef de cuisine and Melody was my sous-chef. She helped me out a bit in the kitchen chopping things up, battering the chicken and what have you. I remembered to get out my camera after we were a few minutes into the recipes.

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
The recipe called for boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Chicken Coating
Milk and egg dips

Italian Bread Crumbs
Italian bread crumbs

Breaded Chicken Breasts
Melody prepared and worked the coating line, dipping the breasts into the milk, egg and bread crumbs.

Chopped Peeled Apple
I cored two red delicious apples, peeled one and chopped them both. Unfortunately I did not get pictures of the one with the peel left on.

Apple Stuffing
I prepared the stuffing using apple juice instead of water and added in the skin-on chopped apples.

Panned Apple Stuffing
I put it in a baking pan.

Panned Apple Stuffing with More Apples
I topped it with the peeled apple pieces.

Chopped Onion
I decided to slightly alter the recipe for increased flavor by chopping up a quarter onion.

Panned Apple Stuffing with Onion
I placed the onion on top of the stuffing.

Chicken and Apple Stuffing Ready to Bake
Then I added the breaded chicken breasts and this is ready to go into a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

Brussels Sprouts
I cleaned (and sliced the larger) brussels sprouts.

Raw Bacon
I put three pieces of bacon in the pan to cook on medium heat.

Cooking Bacon
Just look at it sizzle. I really like this pan.

EVOO
We needed one tablespoon of EVOO.

Green Onion
I did not have any shallot so I used a green onion instead.

Chopped Green Onion
I chopped it up a bit.

Fried Bacon
The bacon is done and just look at how crispy it is!

Sauteing Green Onion
I put the one tablespoon of EVOO in with the bacon grease and gave it a turn or two before putting the green onion in. I let it saute for a few minutes.

Brussels Sprouts Coated
Next, I put the brussels sprouts in and tossed them about until the grease coated them evenly.

Chicken Broth
I measured one cup of chicken broth.

Brussels Sprouts in Broth
I added the broth to the pan.

Pepper Mill
What dish is complete without some freshly ground black pepper?

Chopped Bacon
Melody chopped the bacon.

Simmering
I covered the pan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. I made another alteration to the dish here, I fried up four more slices of bacon and added the grease to the pan towards the end making sure that everything was nicely stirred up.

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
I put it in a bowl and sprinkled some of our bacon bits on it.

Baked Chicken with Apple Stuffing
When the chicken was finished baking, the breading was very moist due to the instructions saying to cover with foil for the entire cooking time. I removed the foil and put it under the boiler for a few minutes to dry and slightly brown the breading.

Baked Chicken with Apple Stuffing and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Here is my plate. Doesn't that look delicious?

The chicken was very moist and picked up some of the apple and onion flavor. The stuffing was simply awesome. The brussels sprouts tasted great but I think that I might have let them simmer more than the ten minutes the recipe called for because they were a bit on the soft side.

I give both dishes five stars and we will be having both of them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment