Monday, August 17, 2009

Open Letter to American Veterans

If you are eligible for GI Bill benefits and have not applied, you might want to submit your initial application now. When I applied at the end of April, the time required to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) was "six to eight weeks" according to the Q&A section of their website. Right now, the national average is 10 weeks of processing time.

The Buffalo regional office handles the processing for the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (the school I am attending). They are no where near the average. As of tomorrow they will have had my claim for 15 weeks (they downloaded my application on June 5th). According to the operator that I spoke with today, they have no idea when my Certificate of Eligibility will be completed.

Once you have a CoE then they can start working on your tuition claim which again will take "six to eight weeks" but it really depends on the regional office that processes the claim.

I really regret waiting so long to apply. If I'm lucky, I will actually be able to use my benefits before they expire in October, 2010. If you are an eligible veteran and you have not applied for GI Bill benefits yet, do not delay because you may end up in the same boat as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment